Fractional CTO, Evangelist, Mentor
- Perform a comprehensive technology assessment
- Provide on-going coordination and monitoring of all technology tasks, plans, and resources so they fit within the bigger picture
- Be the technology "evangelist" for your organization, making sure the technology strategy serves the business strategy
- Create short- and long-term technology roadmaps that include hardware, software and "liveware" (people)
- Audit your security practices and assist with any risk mitigation strategies
- Provide a complete strategy for researching and moving to cloud-based infrastructure (If appropriate), along with vendor and product suggestions, as well as cost and benefit analyses
- Plan and execute a performance analysis and deliver recommendations to improve and shore- up any related issues
- Perform due diligence for technology acquisitions or mergers
Strategy - the "art" of planning and directing...if it were only that simple. Let me help you develop a strategic plan that matches your priorities, goals, constraints, resources, and budgets. It can be short-term, long-term, or anywhere in between. I can help you create your roadmap and walk beside you as you begin to execute the plan so you arrive at "point b" relatively unscathed. read more...
Is your infrastructure not living up to expectations? Do your developers complain about slow servers? Are your software and hardware working "together" to get the most bang for your buck? Do your applications or web sites buckle under pressure when precious traffic shows up in droves? Let me audit your systems with an unbiased eye that sees both hardware and software with a critical focus.read more...
Does your organization truly understand the cloud, how it works, when it's valuable, and when it's not? Do you have a potential "storm" brewing because you pay for multiple cloud environments? Let me clarify how it works, when to use them, and when not to. I can also help you develop a solid cloud strategy, select appropriate vendors, and ensure that security, disaster recovery, and availability aren't after thoughts.read more...
Security (or lack thereof) is all the rage. Hackers, viruses, insider threat, and breaches all threaten today's organizations and their data. Is your data secure? Have you tested that assumption? Do you know the difference between a vulnerability, a threat, and a breach? I've worked closely with private companies and the Intelligence Community to develop security measures that keep the good in and the bad out. Let me help you determine if your information really is safe, and if not, how to secure it and keep it that way.read more...
It's been said that no house built on a shaky foundation has a solid future. The same can be said about technology. A poorly designed hardware or software architecture will surely lead lead to significant time, money, and opportunities lost. Fast servers that are mis-configured can be a waste of expensive hardware and can put you in a bad place with lightening speed. Likewise, poorly designed or poorly written software can corrupt data, destroy customer relationships, and create both legal and regulatory nightmares. Architecture, like strategy, is an art form. Let me help you realize just how valuable a truly sound architecture can be, both short-term and long-term.read more...
Are you practicing Agile? Do you fear a waterfall development plan? Do your developers produce bug-free code? Everyone needs a process around their technology to keep it humming, meeting its user's needs and delivering results your organization can count on. That process doesn't have to be just Agile or traditional...hybrid approaches that fit YOUR environment and workforce are truly beautiful to behold. Let me take a look at current processes and guide you towards smoothing out the bumps and bruises they may be generating.read more...
- software development for a leading-edge fiber manufacturer
- support for clinical research within the National Institute of Health
- architecting huge information systems sold to some of the largest utility companies
- leading all the technology for one of the largest communications companies in Brazil
- starting my own regional ISP
- working with one of the coolest people I’ve ever known to build HowStuffWorks.com
- managing over two hundred web sites, including one for former president Bill Clinton
- building systems for the IC (Intelligence Community) that required a full-scope polygraph
- enjoying the role of a Chief Technology or Chief Information Officer since 2000